What You Can Do

"The minute I heard Patty Weather's testimony before Congress about parents being bullied into putting their child on a psychiatric drug, I thought, 'Thank God, one of us made it and one of us is out there exposing the truth.' When our schools have to use mind-altering drugs to teach in the classroom, then they've gone down the path of no return."

Mrs. Sheila Matthews
Connecticut Mother Who Fought Back

If your child is exhibiting learning and/or behavioral problems, there are many things that you can do.

1. Undiagnosed, untreated physical conditions can often manifest as a "psychiatric symptom"; adverse reactions to common prescription drugs can also create unwanted behavior; even a popular medication for treating acne was found to be precipitating episodes of depression and suicide among teenagers using it.

2. Take your child to a competent doctor of environmental medicine and have him or her properly tested for allergies and toxins. There are also many books that provide alternative, safe and drug-free ways of dealing with "behavioral" problems through diet, nutrition, activity and discipline. Sound medical attention, good nutrition, a healthy, safe environment and activity that promotes confidence will do far more for a troubled child than the brutality of repeated drugging and other psychiatric abuses.

[ See Recommended Reading Section ]

3. You have rights. Ensure that your child's school knows that you do not give your permission for him/her to fill out any psychological questionnaire or test in the classroom. Remember, the information gathered from these questionnaires can be used to "diagnose" the child as learning disabled or "at risk" and your child could be sent to a school psychologist or psychiatrist who might recommend (and try to enforce) putting him/her on a drug.

4. Speak with your child's teacher and ensure that the "Whole Word" education method is eliminated from your child's education and that he or she has access to and uses phonics in class. Also, let the teacher know that you want your child to fully understand words, using a simple dictionary. It is also important that your child has lots of drawings, photos or diagrams of the subject matter he/she is studying.

5. Studies show that tutoring leads to improvements in academic outcomes. If your child is not learning, is behind in school, doesn't enjoy his or her classes, or can't seem to concentrate, find a competent tutor who gets results.

6. If a child is struggling in class, he may also be very creative or highly intelligent and in need of greater stimulation. "Acknowledge the child's ability and provide them with opportunities to do well," Dr. Block advises.

7. If your child has been prescribed a psychiatric drug, ensure that you fully understand all of its side effects. Remember, these are mind- and mood-altering drugs—they change a person's attitude and mood towards others and life situations.

8. If your child is taking a prescribed, psychiatric drug, do not take him/her off the drug without medical guidance. An individual should only come off them with proper, non-psychiatric medical monitoring.

9. File a complaint with CCHR International (see abuse reporting form on this site) concerning any abuse that your child has suffered. CCHR can refer you to a local CCHR who may be able to help you.

In Pennsylvania, a panel of
experts chaired by CCHR U.S.
President Bruce Wiseman
(center) heard testimony
from parents and teachers
about psychiatrists
labeling and drugging

10. Get the Petition for Children's Rights Against Psychiatric Stigma and Drug Abuse widely supported and signed in your local community. Send a copy to CCHR International to add to the thousands who have already signed this.

11. Start or join a parents' group to provide support for each other, and begin to speak out about the wrongful labeling and drugging of our children; CCHR can assist you.

And a final word of advice from Dr. Fred Baughman: "Anyone contending that your child has a 'brain disease' and should or must be on a stimulant or some other brain-altering, addictive drug, then—child in hand—you should exit that office and exit that school."

Child Labeling and Drugging Bills/Resolutions Passed

Model Legislation